Sunday 14 April 2013

Poetry please- Peter Pan never had this problem.

The following came about due to a writing exercise for a critiquing group that I belong to. The exercise was to write a conversation with ones shadow in 200 words or less. At the time I was going through a very painful split. I was finding it still difficult to break away from my life partner and best friend as at that point our lives had become so intertwined....and in some ways I didn't completely want nor have the strength to. Introducing a bit of comic poetry was just the ticket!



Perpetual Shadow

"Why won't you go away?"
"Why don't you want me to stay?..... Don't you like me anymore?"
"I liked you better before!"
"Before what?!"
"You're a copy cat that's all."
"I don't think that's it. There's something you are not saying."
"But you're not going to like the way this is going."
"Why? Where is it going?"
"Somewhere else... I'm sick of there being two of us, I am sick of saying we.."
"Hang on just a tiny moment? Are you breaking up with me?"
"Look dude we had a good run, lots of shennanigans but now...I just want you gone."
"There's no way you are getting rid of me. I will stalk you you're whole life if I have to. I can't just let you go."
"Next you will be saying we are meant to be together."
"Well we are! I've known you like forever!"
"Well If Peter Pan could stick himself to his shadow, I can certainly unstick myself from you"
"Give it a try I dare you... I'm stuck to you like burnt tinfoil on a baking tray."
"I don't think that's how that's supposed to go."
"Oh so now my metaphors not good enough for you. What the hell did you want me to say?"
"You stick to a person like glue you moron not kitchen utensils."
"Tinfoil isn't a utensil and neither is a baking tray."
"Well whatever its academic. Its time for you to go away."
"That's my point.. It's not possible.. We're stuck like this. There's no getting out of it. We're fixed."
"Well this is a nice mess I have found myself in. What the hell am I supposed to do with you?!"
"You'll just have to put up with me hanging round. I'm just always gonna be here. Sorry dude!"










No comments:

Post a Comment